New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Do I have to lie to get first tech job?

Ask HN: Do I have to lie to get first tech job?
6 by crypticlizard | 10 comments on Hacker News.
I've graduated college (Philosophy, 3.2 GPA), done some various projects on Github (Using Go, JS, & Python), networked with friends, but the problem I keep finding is my resume. People express interest in hiring me, check out my Github, but then give me the fade once they see my resume. I feel like it's a catch-22: I can't get experience until I've gotten experience. I thought my Github would close the gap, but alas it hasn't! I've read lots of posts on HN discussing this, and all opinions are welcome in response to this query, but specifically let me ask, should I really just lie and claim more experience? (I've had friends wanting to hire me suggest this subtly)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog