New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Is Keybase a reasonable solution for storing private keys/recovery words

Ask HN: Is Keybase a reasonable solution for storing private keys/recovery words
4 by blockstate | 3 comments on Hacker News.
I know the safest option is to not store anything online, but considering the probability of losing physical documents, I'm willing to the make the risk/reward tradeoff. Keybase looks like an attractive option for encrypted cloud file storage. It is end to end encrypted and looks to be a security first platform. What are the attack vectors here? I like that only trusted devices can issue keys to new devices (meaning that even if my Keybase account password is compromised, the hacker still needs physical or remote control of one of my devices to grant file access on their computer). Physical access is a problem, so a stolen laptop + knowledge of my password could screw me, but I use a lock screen, keep Keybase logged out at all times, have encrypted HDD, etc. On top of that, I could also encrypt a .dmg file with another password and store that. Opinions appreciated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog