New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: How much time to devote to learning algorithms vs. creating software?

Ask HN: How much time to devote to learning algorithms vs. creating software?
37 by sidcool | 24 comments on Hacker News.
I was flummoxed with this question when I started re-learning about Algorithms & DS (after years of regular backend software development) along with Competitive programming. The fact that I suck at it hit me like a brick. I took way way longer than necessary to solve even basic algorithm problems. Now at work, I am pretty good at creating reliable software (mostly in Java, Scala and Python), but I won't probably pass the first tech round at companies like Google or Amazon. And this is hurting my ego bad. After so many years developing software, I am bad at the fundamentals. Is this something that worries you? How much percent time do you spend on strengthening CS basics? Do the best tech companies only judge based on Algo/DS knowledge?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog