New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Would you hire a felon?

Ask HN: Would you hire a felon?
7 by melonbar | 9 comments on Hacker News.
I have posted a few times before regarding this topic but in short I have a few felonies for playing with bitcoins and drugs while in college. I have a job as a full-stack JavaScript dev (just launched a new Gatsby site last week, I <3 netlify) and am a founder in a startup that counts CocaCola as a client (in negotiations with a few more Fortune 500 companies as well). I love to code more than just about anything else in life (aside from perhaps naps and nachos). It legit saved my life from a terrible addiction. I have been out of trouble for six years now, I got my life in order, and am in a great mental space. Yet, I want to get remote work while I continue my own projects. I am a competent developer who can make it past interviews and code challenges alike. Yet no one will hire. I usually get to the end and am told I am a top candidate. But at whatever point I reveal my past, I immediately get 'waitlisted'. Honestly, I am just curious. Would you ever consider hiring someone such as myself? Any advice how I can find those who would? What are some creative ways that I could put myself out there and prove myself? Thanks a bunch for any advice, it means a lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog